How to do a “Headache Massage” (Video)

by James on 24 January 2009

Everyone has a different theory about massage for headache, and/or migraine.  But sometimes it’s better just to do something, than to wonder about which to try, and end up doing nothing.

If you have someone who is willing to do a massage for you, this is an excellent start.  Watch this video together and then give it a try!

And while you’re here, tell us – what is your favourite type of massage?  What works best for the "typical" headache you have?

Mary Kay January 26, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Hi James,
Great idea..just from the female point of view, when I get my hair done my stylist will do a bit of a scalp and temple massage as she knows I get migraine. Saves me time going for a full massage and it really helps..

James January 26, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Kind of makes you want to go to the stylist every other day, doesn’t it? I’ll bet you either have great looking hair, or maybe very short hair! ;)

Seriously though, that is nice. Even a short massage (the one above is pretty short, actually) can be a big help.

Kelly, FlywithHope March 8, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Thanks so much for this video link! I showed it to my husband and now he does a massage similar to this video every night because it really seems to help. We tweaked some things. I can’t tolerate pressure on my temples or my forehead. So, he avoids that area. But, because I have neck/occipital neuralgia stuff in addition to Migraine and New Daily Persistent Headache, the neck massage has really helps. Thanks again!

James March 13, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Right on! It’s great to have someone to “train” – hope you keep seeing improvement. ;)

Jamie September 16, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Thank you so much for this. I have occipital neuralgia and status migrainosis. I have had migraines and all sorts of other symptoms my whole life and nothing has ever worked. I also love the podcasts. Thanks for everything that you have on this site. My neurologist just wants to use meds and nerve blocks even though neither seem to help. I can use all the help I can get anymore.

aeries shine June 24, 2010 at 10:11 am

niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

MigrainePal January 22, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Definitely sharing this little gem with my partner. Nice one.