Migraine: Will a Hysterectomy Help?

by James on 29 May 2013

Migraine: Will a Hysterectomy Help?

The above charts speak for themselves, showing statistically what women experience regarding migraine after hysterectomy.  Just because your migraine attacks are connected to your monthly cycle, it does not follow that a hysterectomy will make them go away.

For more information, check out Hysterectomy and Migraine: What can you expect? and The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit (in the UK).

Joel Templeton May 29, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I don’t know about this but if it comes down to it…

TracEy Hanna May 29, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I just had a total hysterectomy & I’m hoping the menstrual migraines will be gone

Miriam Rubinoff May 29, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Several years after menopause, my migraines have stayed pretty much the same as they were before.

Tisa Law May 29, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I spoke with my neurologist about getting a hysterectomy for my migraines (yes, I was THAT desperate). He also said that studies show that women who get hysts that have a history of migraines usually have an increase in migraines and that a hysterectomy is not a cure for them. :(

Ann O'Reilly Constantineau May 29, 2013 at 1:32 pm

No. Not at all. I did it. Changed nothing sadly :(

Ann O'Reilly Constantineau May 29, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I was that desperate. I actually went through with it. No success :/

Michelle Oelfke Buck May 29, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Didn’t work for me…

Danielle Niki Shaffer Traxler May 29, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Not a cure! If I am not right on target with my shots (every 21 days) mine will start kicking up!

Joanne Stride May 29, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Many times I have asked my neuro for a hysterectomy and he has refused saying that there was no proof that it would improve my migraines. After seeing these charts and reading these comments I’m thankful I never went through with it. All I can say is bring on menopause!!!

James Bogash May 29, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Two things to think about. First, if a women has heavy periods, iron supplementation in the 2nd half of the cycle can work miracles for headaches. Sometimes it can be THAT simple. Second, if there is inadequate production of progesterone (which can lead to menstrual irregularities) you will be short on a neurosteroid called allopregnonalone. This compound is VERY good from the brain. Having a hysterectomy will not likely fix this problem.

Jen May 29, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Best thing I ever did.

Theresa Maddox May 29, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Don’t do it for that reason, it won’t help and then you’ll just end up with more problems!

Jack Rosenberger May 29, 2013 at 6:47 pm

and this does not help me

Linda Rehmert Frantz May 29, 2013 at 7:12 pm

no it makes it worse

Kathy January 3, 2014 at 10:38 am

After a partial hysterectomy and migraines returning (my gyno said the ovaries probably stopped production), he put me on a low-dose hormone patch which helped a lot. Due to the low dose, I’ve been able to stay on it past normal menopause, which is also great.