As tinted lenses for various types of migraine grow in popularity, there is increasing interest in contact lenses which can do the same thing as glasses.
Actually, using tinted contact lenses for migraine is not a new idea. In 2005, a study in the USA showed relief from migraine pain in most patients that tried red tinted contacts.
It shouldn’t be surprising that tinted contact lenses work where specialized tinted lenses in glasses work. Many migraine patients are finding relief from photophopia, and even pain, with quality sunglasses or precision tinted lenses.
When it comes to contact lenses for migraine, there are some special considerations:
- Just buying regular tinted lenses won’t do. Many have a clear, untinted pupil, which of course won’t give any benefit. But you do need a tint that is more geared toward migraine relief.
- Lens tinting for migraine relief is really still in its infancy. That means that there will probably be a bit of trial and error before you find the tint that works for you.
- There are some concerns about the safety of tinted lenses. Be sure to go to a qualified professional. Check out the laws in your country about who can and cannot provide this service.
- Common tints for migraine are shades of red and brown. Other colours, such as blue, may be tried.
- The Irlen Method has helped some headache patients. Irlen does provide contact lenses as well as glasses, after a specific testing process. See what this patient had to say.
Check here for more on tinted contact lenses for migraine in the USA. Included in the article are phone numbers that your doctor can call.
In London, England, The Institute of Optometry has done a lot of work with precision tinted lenses.